Does the moment make the man, or does the man make the moment?

Thursday, February 4, 2010

4. Just Friends

You’re My Best Friend - Queen(Cover)
(I can’t even explain to you how much I love this girl… she might be the most fantastic person I’ve never met lol) & thus starts the ukulele music… oh dear.

“Oh no… don’t even get me started on that! If I remember correctly, you were always the one getting me into trouble in Sunday school!” Evangeline laughed as she shook her head; her long, wavy, blond hair flipping out around her.

Alex rolled his eyes and snorted. “Oh, right, right… If I remember correctly though, you were the one who switched the baby Jesus in a manger, with a ham.”

“Ok first of all, it was a turkey, and secondly, that was you…”

“I don’t rememb- oh… yah, that was me…” He laughed as he continued to scan the road; heading into downtown Pittsburgh. “Wow, I can’t believe I forgot about that.”

“I think you just don’t want to remember all the dumb shit that you’ve done so you convince yourself it was me…” Evan laughed, turning her gaze out the window as they neared their destination.
Alex nodded to himself; that seemed reasonable.

They fell silent, Evan worrying about her appointment; Alex trying to figure out if there was anything else he’d done in the past and had blamed on her. “What if he picked out the ugliest dresses ever?” She said after a while, worry creasing her brow.

Alex grinned slightly as he pulled the car into a lucky parking spot outside the store. “Evan, you don‘t have to buy a dress today… and remember, Jeff was just ‘suggesting‘ these dresses. If you don’t like them, find another.”
They both climbed out of the car and headed into the large, expensively decorated wedding store.

“Hi! I’m here for my wedding appointment…” Evangeline explained as the woman in a black fitted suit approached Alex and her. “Evangeline-Rose Pearson.” Evan added.

“Oh of course! Just the two of you then?” She asked, smiling as she looked Alex up and down.
Alex and Evangeline both nodded.

As far as Alex knew, Jeff had already been in here a few days before, explaining to the staff what he was looking for. Alex could only snort at the idea; wasn’t the wedding suppose to be about the bride?
The dresses he wanted were probably skimpy or stupid; dresses that wouldn’t fit Evan at all. That was Alex’s major issue with Jeff, he had the greatest girl in the world but he was still always trying to change her.

“Alright Evangeline-Rose… just follow me.” The lady said, giving her a warm smile.

“Please, Evan is fine.” She smiled back, glancing at Alex over her shoulder. “See you soon…” She mouthed.


Alex took a seat on one of the white velvet couches - facing a small round pedestal in the middle of the room. He glanced around him, watching the other women running back and forth with dresses.
He was waiting for almost fifteen minutes before they came back. The first dress was white with a fitted top and a poofy bottom; complete with pink rose embellishments. Each rose sat carefully in an up-turned part of the acrylic. “You look like a cake.” He laughed as she ascended the step to the pedestal.

The girl turned around and glared at him, wiping the smile off his face. When Evan finally turned to face him, he could see that she wasn’t happy about what she was wearing. “Now this one is a gorgeous-”

“-no, he’s right… I look like a Barbie cake.” She sighed, turning slightly; as if the different angles might make the dress appear less pastry-like.

The next dress she appeared in, Alex had to take a deep breath to keep from laughing. “Well, what do you think?” The lady asked finally as Evan blinked, close to tears.

“I’m so sorry…” He snorted, unable to contain his laughter anymore; even if she was upset over the dress. “You look like the feather-duster from Beauty and the Beast!”


Alex could tell that Evan was miserable. She had asked Jeff to keep her tastes in mind when he picked out the dresses; and maybe he’d tried. If he did though, he obviously didn’t know her very well. The third dress confused Alex more than anything.

“You look like you walked through blood… why would you wear red?” He asked, honestly wondering whether or not red was a bad omen to be wed in.

When Evan appeared in dress number four, her eyes were puffy and Alex bit his lip. “Well?” She said, throwing her hands out to the side.

“Umm… did he realize that the dress was purple?”

“Purple!” Evan half-screamed as she covered her face with her hands.

“Evan… hey!” Alex cooed, getting off the couch and picking her off the pedestal. She fell into his hug and stayed there for a few minutes, composing herself. “I got an idea… how about you try on one more dress that Jeff picked… and if you don’t like it, we’ll go look for one? Ok?”

She nodded against him before allowing the employee to lead her away to the dressing room.

Alex literally crossed his fingers as he waited for her to come back in, when he saw her, even his good intentions couldn’t last. His eyes found hers and they both started to laugh uncontrollably. “Well… it’s interesting…” Alex managed to choke out between gasps.

Evan shook her head as she laughed harder at the dress.

“Oh my god… I look like I got put through a wood chipper.”

“I was gonna say ravaged by wild dogs but, that works too!” Alex agreed, shaking his head. He could still see the disappointment in her eyes, but at least she was smiling again.

“Can we go look now?” She asked as she stepped down from the tiny stage. He nodded, smiling as move towards her, taking her arm and looping it through his.

~*~*~*~*~*~

Lost In This Moment - Big and Rich

Alex was back on the couch as he waited for Evan; this time, hopefully things would go over better.
They had walked all around the store, looking through all kinds of dresses; high-fashion, embellishments, ball-gown cut, mermaid style…

He sighed, closing his eyes as he waited. He was more tired than he should have been, but at the same time, we was happy that he had agreed to come with her; he would have hated to imagine her here by herself.

With his eyes close, he didn’t notice her approach until she was already situated in front of him. “What do you think?” She asked quietly, causing him to open his eyes and glance at her.

The girl had pulled Evan’s hair back loosely, throwing a few scattered flowers in amongst the pale, glossy strands. Alex felt his breath catch in his throat as she awaited his judgement.
“I… you… you look amazing Evangeline.” He finally managed to say, getting his mind functioning enough to close his gaping mouth. “Wow…”

“Snow White, right? Do you remember that? I always said I wanted a dress like this… it’s simple but… it’s still nice.”

“You, you look beautiful… that’s how I always pictured you’d look on our- your wedding day.” He fumbled, having to pull his eyes away from her, in that dress.

It was amazing, how a little while ago he was laughing and completely at ease. Jeff’s idea of a blushing bride was so different from all the times he’d thought about it, it didn’t even seem to be in the same category.
Seeing her like that, the way he had always pictured her to look, was almost too much for him to deal with.

“So, you think this is the one?” Alex turned back to her, to find her attention now on the mirror in front of her. “I mean, I know it’s a little plain but I could always add on some embellishments…”

“No. No, it looks perfect the way it is. It’s perfect.” He nodded along with the words, trying to remind himself that he was in public and a grown-man; crying would be ridiculous. Especially crying at a girl in a wedding dress because she was getting married to someone else.

“Aww!” Evan sighed as she turned around. “It looks so good you’re getting teary-eyed?” She grinned at him and reached out, pulling herself against him and hugging tightly.
She was glad that he liked the dress, it was what she had always wanted.

It felt surreal to her, that she was her, in the dress she’d get married in, with the man she always pictured herself marrying.
Of course, this situation was entirely backwards; nothing like either of them had ever planned.



They left the dress behind - to be altered - and headed out to eat. Alex had a game that evening at seven, but Evangeline was coming with him.
They pulled into a familiar spot; a small Italian place a few blocks away from Mellon arena.

“Usual?” The older waitress asked as Alex and Evan headed to their seats in the back.

“Yah thanks.” Alex grinned, grabbing onto the back of a chair and pulling it out for Evan.
He helped her tuck it in before moving around to his side of the table. “So… glad with your purchase?”

“Glad that that’s over…” She corrected, sighing as she glanced around the restaurant. “I can’t believe I just spent four thousand dollars on a dress, ugh!”

“Really, that’s ridiculous. What’s even more unbelievable, is that some of those other ones were up to fifty thousand…it’s a dress you wear once.” Alex shrugged, moving his elbows off the table as Amelia, the waitress, set a glass of Coke down in front of him. “There are so many better things you could do with that money…”

“Like buy a car!” Evan agreed, glancing over at her coat as her phone started to vibrate.

“Diet for you?” The girl asked, blushing slightly as she put the Coke with two straws in front of Evan.
Alex nodded for her, seeing as how she was to distracted by her cell to hear the girl. “I hope that’s right… Anne said to just bring it over.”

“Yah that’s great… you new here?” Alex asked as he tried to block Evan’s conversation with Jeff.

Amelia nodded. “Yah… I’ve only been here three days.” She turned around to go but stopped suddenly. “This is probably so inappropriate but… you’re awesome. I was so happy when the Pens signed you for three years.”

Alex stared at her, causing her to blush softly. “I- I can’t believe you know about my contract… most people don’t even know who I am…” He finally managed to get out, feeling the grin spread across his face.

Amelia smiled too. “I love the Pens… I grew up here and I play hockey a bit so… I’ve been following it my whole life.” She explained, starting to feel more and more self-conscious as Alex Goligoski - the Stanley cup champion, Alex Goligoski - stared at her.

“You play?” He asked, raising an eyebrow as his eyes traveled the length of her body.
She was tall, only a few inches shorter than him probably, 5’7” or 5’8”. She wasn’t big or bulky, but she was definitely well built. The shape of her taut body, was well defined, even under the unflattering work clothing she had on.
Alex brought his eyes back up; unable to notice the slight shape of very full-breasts; beginning right where her brunette ponytail ended.
Breasts. Oh god, he was staring at her breasts.

Alex quickly adverted his eyes away from her chest and back up to her face, hoping that she hadn’t noticed. Judging by the colour of her face, she had. “I’m so sorry!” He started quickly, trying to apologise, even if he wasn’t actually trying to check her out. “I swear that I would never look at you like that. Oh… no… not that you’re not… I just mean, I would never look at a girl like that, I’m not that type of guy.” He explained quickly, hoping she wouldn’t be mad at him.

“Oh…” Amelia said, glancing at Evan and then back at him.

Alex gulped. “Oh! I didn’t mean that I don’t like girls… I like girls, not guys… I’m totally into hot girls and your hot… in a non-chauvinistic way…” Alex took a deep breath and glanced over at Evan who was now watching him with a mixture of surprise and humour.

“Ok there, Alex?” She said slowly, trying to hold in a laugh.

He sighed, looking back over at Amelia. “Sorry…” He added again, earning laughter from both girls.

“Oh no!” Evan pressed further, causing Alex to glance at her, worried. “We’re not…” She was holding up her left hand, pointing to her engagement ring. “I’m engaged to someone else, Alex and I are just friends.”

5 comments:

  1. Ukulele!! :D

    Baby Jesus/ham/turkey... hilarious. I love their banter back and forth. They fit together so well, so comfortable with one another. It’s so cute. I can only imagine how sweet it would be if they were together. You know, *together* together. If they were together, my heart would probably explode from overjoy. /sigh

    “The girl turned around and glared at him, wiping the smile off his face.” This line cracked me up. I don’t know if it was supposed to or not, but just the mental picture of this attendant shooting Alex a nasty look and intimidating him into not smiling anymore... it just really cracks me up. Love it!

    All right... this whole picking out wedding dresses thing... /sigh. It just shows how much El Idiot (i.e. Carter) and Evan don’t belong together. He doesn’t *know* her, not like Alex does. The dresses he picked out were just not for Evan. Actually, I don’t know who would wear those dresses at all, but that’s just my humble opinion.

    “Oh my god… I look like I got put through a wood chipper.”
    “I was gonna say ravaged by wild dogs but, that works too!”
    ^^Bahahahahahaha. Umm, hilarious. Oh, Alex, making Evan laugh and feel better. What a sweetheart.

    “‘You, you look beautiful… that’s how I always pictured you’d look on our- your wedding day.’”
    “Seeing her like that, the way he had always pictured her to look, was almost too much for him to deal with.”
    ^^Awwwwwwww. I don’t even know what to say. Poor Gogo. :’/

    “He nodded along with the words, trying to remind himself that he was in public and a grown-man; crying would be ridiculous. Especially crying at a girl in a wedding dress because she was getting married to someone else.”
    ^^Again, are you trying to rip my beating heart out? Because it’s working. It’s totally, totally working. I feel so bad for him. This wedding to Carter is not allowed to happen!!!!

    Moving on... Evan’s coming to the game tonight? Does that mean the guys on the team are finally going to meet her?! If that’s the case, well, OMG, I can’t *wait* for that to go down. I have a feeling it’s going to be epic.

    Pulling out the chair. Such a gentleman. Love him.

    ... Amelia. <3 her! Lol ;D It’s so cute; Alex Goligoski got recognized! His awkwardness in the situation is endearing. It’s almost painful. I feel bad for him... but come on, that’s absolutely hilarious. Nothing like getting caught checking someone out and then trying to play it off. Been there, done that, and it’s humiliating. Mortifying.

    And then when Evan had to throw that out there, that they were “just friends,” it made me sad again. Totally ruined the moment. I mean, it went from funny and cute to.... BOOM! Reality hitting and bringing them all back to Earth. Bringing *me* back to Earth, too. Awww... :(

    But, regardless, I loved it! Another great installment to the best story on Blogger! Is it tomorrow yet?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your Alex. Seriously, cheering her up, teary-eyed, getting caught mid check out. He's soo sweet.

    The dress pictures were a nice touch. Hilarious.

    For the readers sake I can't wait for her to go to the game and potentially the guys find out about Carter. That would be seriously the best locker room banter ever.

    Great update, you write their relationship really well! Can't wait for tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Friggin Carter. I feel like that's how I'm gonna end up starting every chapter that involves him being an ass in some way :P But those dress choices were just insane. I totally agree with Jay, Carter just doesn't know Evan like Alex does.

    But! Dress shopping was so cute! I love them together. They both break my heart and make me smile at the same time. I never can decide!

    "He nodded along with the words, trying to remind himself that he was in public and a grown-man; crying would be ridiculous."
    ^^This! Ugh! So, so sad! The poor man can never seem to catch a break. I just want him to be happy!

    The restaurant scene completely made my night! I loved the little cute/awkward interaction between Amelia and Alex. So glad he finally got some recognition hahaha. I like her already!

    But the end kinda made me sad again. "Just friends" always sucks to hear. ): Can't wait for tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet post, and I loved the wedding dresses, lol! I'm with PeytonRose - the ending made me sad again...

    Have I told you that I already lovelovelove this story? No, okay, I lovelovelove this story :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I laughed, I teared up, I laughed some more, I wanted to bawl when I saw her dress (gorgeous!) and then reading the way you had him fumble with his words... HILARIOUS!!

    Seriously though, who would pick those dresses?!

    ReplyDelete